Inside the pages of the Winter 2011 issue of Where Women Cook Magazine is a hearty, savory, and delicious lasagna recipe from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman.
The Pioneer Woman
As you can see, Ree’s lasagna is another perfect addition to your recipe box at home.
Ree’s Fabulous Meaty Lasagna
Summary: Ree Drummond’s, The Pioneer Woman, version of the perfect lasagna recipe.
- 1 TB. Olive Oil
- 10 oz. lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
- 1 lb. hot breakfast sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans whole tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10-12 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 3 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup parmesean cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the olive oil and a dash of salt. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions until al dente. Drain the noodles and lay them flat on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the hamburger, sausage, and garlic until brown. Drain off the excess fat.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Stir together well. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Retrieve fresh basil and flat-leaf parsley from your garden, herb pots, or local grocery store. I’ve been known to do all three, depending on what time of year it is and whether or not the moon is in the seventh hour.
- Cut the basil into chiffonade by stacking leaves on top of one another and rolling them tightly, then cutting across.
- Finely chop the parsley. Add half the herbs to the meat mixture and stir together.
- In a medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup of the parmesean cheese, and the other half of the herbs.
- Stir together well. Now let’s assemble the lasagna.
- Begin by laying four lasagna noodles in the bottom of a deep rectangular baking pan. The noodles should slightly overlap.
- Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture onto the noodles. Spread and distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese on top of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Spoon just under half the meat mixture on top of the mozzarella. Spread evenly, being careful not to disrupt the layers below.
- Now repeat the process, beginning with a layer of lasagna noodles, followed by the cottage cheese mixture, followed by the mozzarella, and ending with a thick layer of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup parmasean cheese over the top. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the lasagna is hot and bubbly. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve with crusty french bread.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)