It’s nearly Autumn. Which means that harvesting the garden is in full effect. It’s one of my favorite times of year when I get to cook with all those fresh fruits and veggies. Today’s Bacon Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe, from Laurie Crowell of Golden Fig, combines two of my favorite things… Fresh garden squash and bacon. (recipe originally featured in the Fall 2011 Edition of Where Women Cook)
Bacon Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe
Summary: This Bacon Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe is creamy, savory, and the perfect Fall side dish.
- 1/4 lb. good bacon diced
- 2 TB. butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 1 cup cubed and roasted butternut squash
- In pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon, and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Add 2 TB. butter and onions to bacon drippings in pan. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add rice and cook until toasty. Add 1/2 cup of the warmed stock. Each time stock is almost absorbed, add another 1/2 cup until rice is cooked al dente.
- Add butternut squash. Continue adding stock in 1/2 cup increments until rice is tender and squash is warmed.
- Plate and top with diced bacon.