Books and magazines never have enough pages for everything we have to share … so we sometimes include a photograph without a recipe. When this happens, we know you will want the recipe to make the dish. Ask and you shall receive! Enjoy this recipe from Orianne Constantino on page 24 of WHERE WOMEN COOK: CELEBRATE!
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup ground chicory coffee blend (such as Café Du Monde or French Market brand)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 whole star anise pod
- 10 egg yolks
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, cream, sugar, coffee, pepper, and star anise, stirring occasionally, just until milk scalds; do not boil.
- Strain the mixture and return it to the stove until it reaches a foamy boil. Turn off the flame.
- Put egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of the hot milk-cream mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly to temper the yolks. Add the yolks back into the milk-cream mixture and whisk until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Note: If mixture becomes too cool to thicken, place the saucepan over a very low flame during whisking.
- Strain the custard once more into a clean container and chill completely. Freeze the custard in an ice cream machine, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Makes about 2 quarts