Books and magazines never have enough pages for everything we have to share … so we sometimes include a photograph without a recipe. When this happens, we know you will want the recipe to make the dish. Ask and you shall receive! Enjoy this recipe from Beth Price on page 140 of WHERE WOMEN COOK: CELEBRATE!
- 2 cups dried field peas
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 2 tsp. Bermuda Sherry Pepper Sauce (see box)
- Green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Diced tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- Wash peas and place in a large pot. Add water to cover and let soak overnight.
- The next day, drain peas and return to pot. Add garlic and water to cover. Simmer peas for 1 hour or until tender and drain. (If you like, you can reserve a few peas for soup garnish.)
- In a heavy frying pan, fry bacon until crisp. Add chopped onion, cooked peas, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and cook until onions are translucent. Add sour cream and sherry pepper sauce and stir to combine.
- Process mixture in a food processor until smooth. Serve as a topping on sliced French bread or rice crackers or with fresh vegetables. Garnish with green onions and tomatoes, if desired.
Makes 10 ounces of spread, enough for 20 servings.