Have you been searching for the perfect royal icing recipe—one that is easy to work with for all your decorative needs? We are sharing the fabulous royal icing recipe Julia M. Usher uses to create her amazing baked confections. One look at her gorgeous sugar cookies and you will know this is the recipe for you. The recipe was originally featured in our Winter 2013 issue of Where Women Cook magazine.
Julia M. Usher
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. cream of tarter
- 5 large egg whites, cold
- Flavoring of choice, to taste
- Soft-gel food coloring of choice (optional)
- Mix powdered sugar and cream of tartar together in bowl of an electric mixer. Stir in egg whites by hand to moisten sugar.
- Fit electric mixer with a whip attachment. To avoid a flurry of powdered sugar, beat mixture on low speed just until egg whites are evenly incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl; turn mixer to its highest speed and continue to beat about 2-3 minutes. (Icing will lighten and thicken as you beat; avoid beating too long or you’ll introduce excess bubbles, which interfere with a smooth top-coating.) When done, icing should be bright white, glossy, and very thick; icing should cling to a spoon without failing off.
- Beat in a flavoring (don’t skimp on flavoring or icing will taste chalky) and/or coloring, as desired. Mix well before using, or store covered flush with plastic wrap.
Now comes the real question…what will you ice first?