I love to eat breakfast food all day long. And there are few things as delcious as a really well done stuffed French Toast. It is WELL worth the time it takes to prepare. And this one from Suzy looks and sounds EXCEPTIONAL.
Stuffed French Toast with Cranberry-Orange-Pear Compote
Summary: compote for Stuffed French Toast with Cranberry-Orange-Pear Compote
- 2 T. butter
- 2 Bartlett pears, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 C.dried cranberries
- 1/4 C. water
- 1 can mandarin oranges
- The juice of half an orange
- 1 t. orange zest
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/4 C. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- In a frying pan, melt butter and add sliced pears, stir and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, bring to a boil 1/4 C. water, add cranberries, stir and lower temperature to low.
- Add mandarin oranges with juice.
- Add the juice of half an orange and its zest.
- Add cooked pears, vanilla, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Stir and heat on low for 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Summary: filling for Stuffed French Toast with Cranberry-Orange-Pear Compote
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- The juice of one orange (or 1/4 cup orange juice)
- The zest of one orange
- 1/2 C. powdered sugar
- Mix all ingredients with a mixer and set aside.
Summary: french toast portion of Stuffed French Toast with Cranberry-Orange-Pear Compote
- 1 loaf of brioche, or home made bread, even cinnamon swirl. Any bread that can be cut into 1 1/2″ slices.
- 6 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1 C. half and half (you can use the fat free)
- Beat eggs, add half and half and salt in large, flat container.
- Cut bread into slices, dip in batter and fry in butter coated or sprayed pan.
- Flip and cook other side.
- Approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
Summary: syrup for Stuffed French Toast with Cranberry-Orange-Pear Compote
- 1 c. maple syrup
- 1/4 C. half and half
- pinch of cinnamon
- Heat all ingredients on low, just until warm.
- Place one piece of french toast on a plate, put a spoonful of cream cheese filling on top, place a second piece of french toast on top of that.
- Spoon compote over the top of stacked french toast, then drizzle with maple cream syrup.