Gluten-free doesn’t mean taste or texture free. This Gluten-Free Walnut-Cacao Nib Muffins Recipe is proof positive. It is light, flavorful, and delicious. This recipe was featured in our Summer 2011 issue and is from the Gluten-Free Girl herself, Shauna James Ahern.
Gluten-Free Walnut-Cacao Nib Muffins Recipe
Summary: This Gluten-Free Walnut-Cacao Nib Muffins Recipe combines healthful aspects of a bran muffin without the wheat. It’s a healthy muffin that’s light in texture.
- 150 g. sorghum flour
- 150 g. buckwheat flour
- 50 g. arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 180 g. (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh orange zest or 3/4 tsp. dried orange peel
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs (or flaxseed gel)
- 300 g. (1 3/4 cup buttermilk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 100 g. (1/2 cup) grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a standard-size muffin pan.
- Whisk together the sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, and arrowroot flour in a large bowl. Add the baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk them all together. Add the orange zest and nutmeg. Whisk together, and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs until they are light and frothy. Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract, and whisk. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking until it is all incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well, and fold them into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. Before the batter is entirely uniform, add the walnuts and cacao nibs. Mix until there is no visible flour remaining.
- Fill each muffin tin almost to the top. Slide the muffin pan into the oven. Bake until the top of each muffin bounces back when pressed lightly, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven, and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan, and allow them to cool fully on a baking rack.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)