There is still time to fire up the grill before the weather turns cold. This Flank Steak with Mango Salsa Recipe is perfect for end of the season grilling. Or maybe you grill all year round; you’ll still want to try this, trust me. This recipe from Loralee Choate, from Loralee’s Looney Tunes, was original shared in our Summer 2011 issue.
Loralee’s Looney Tunes
Flank Steak with Mango Salsa Recipe
Summary: A perfectly grilled flank steak with mango salsa recipe to spice up any meal.
- Flank Steak- 3 TB. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 TB. red wine vinegar
- 3 TB. packed brown sugar
- 3 TB. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB. ground cumin
- 2 TB. ground ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. ground chile de arbol powder
- 1 clove garlic pressed or chopped
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 (2-lb.) flank steak
- Mango Salsa-4 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1 TB. honey
- 1 TB. kosher salt
- 3-4 grinds of black pepper
- Flank Steak- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl, and whish until smooth. Pour into a zip-top bag with the flank steak, making sure the marinade covers the whole surface of the steak.
- Marinate a minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Grill over hot charcoal for about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Slice into thin slices, cutting against the grain.
- Mango Salsa- Place mangoes, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, onion, lime juice, garlic, and honey in a bowl.
- Lightly mix all ingredients together, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with the flank steak.
Seed and de-vein the jalapeno before chopping for a less spicy salsa.