Today’s Chocolate Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe is from Amy, the genius behind The Idea Room. Amy has taken a classic gingerbread man recipe and added the WOW factor. Because, we all need a little more chocolate to get us through the holiday season. Not to mention the fact that they are delicious and adorable. The perfect recipe for upcoming cookie exchanges this holiday season.
Chocolate Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe
Summary: Are you looking for that perfect cookie recipe to wow your friends. Look no further than this Chocolate Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe.
- 2 ounces Semi-Sweet Baking Bar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the molasses, egg, and melted chocolate and continue beating on medium speed for an additional 2 minutes.
- On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Transfer the dough to a flat surface and flatten into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least hour, or up to 5 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Divide the chilled dough into four equal quarters, leaving three quarters in the refrigerator. Lightly flour a flat work surface and roll out one piece of dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
- Using a small (2 to 2 1/2 –inch) gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible. Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets, about 1 inch apart. Gather all the dough scraps into a ball and place in the refrigerator. Take out another quarter of the dough, and continue rolling out the dough and cutting cookies until all the dough has been used.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until until slightly raised. Using a spatula, remove the cookies from the cookie sheets, and place on a wire rack to cool.
The Idea Room
Amy is a married, stay at home mom to 5 great kids. They are her inspiration for almost all of her craft ideas and projects. She is a former High School Science Teacher (Human Biology and Biology) and loves teaching and learning new things.
Amy enjoys photography, sewing (if it is a quick and easy project), knitting, crocheting, drawing, and baking. She loves nature and being outdoors. Her family loves to go hiking and camping together. She also love running when she can find some free time to go.
Amy loves reading a good book and have lately found that she can work on a project while listening to a book on tape. She loves music and her iPod can be usually found close by.
And last but not least, Amy loves CHOCOLATE!