There is something about a hearty breakfast on a cold winter morning. Or waking up on the morning of a holiday to hot, home cooked meal. Bread pudding is often served as a dessert item. But why not incorporate this Bread Pudding with Meringue Recipe (featured in our Winter 2011/2012 issue) into your breakfast routine. Tiffany, from The Fancy Farmgirl, wouldn’t steer you wrong.
Tiffany Kirchner Dixon
Bread Pudding with Meringue Recipe
Summary: This Bread Pudding with Meringue Recipe is going to be a hit for your holiday breakfast. Or any breakfast.
- Bread pudding-1 loaf French bread, cut into 6-8 one-inch slices, then cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. real vanilla
- 1 stick real butter, melted
- Meringue topping- 8 egg whites
- 6 TB. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Bread pudding- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange bread cubes in bottom of oven-safe 9″ x 12″ pan (day-old bread works great in this recipe!)
- Mix remaining ingredients, in a separate bowl, thoroughly. Pour over bread cubes in pan, and stir to coat.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes Remove from oven, and spread meringue mixture (directions below) over top of bread pudding.
- Return to oven, and remove when meringue is toasty brown, like a toasted marshmallow, approximately 5-15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Meringue topping- Put all ingredients in a mixer, like a Kitchen Aid with a whisk attachment, or use a handheld mixer.
- Beat until peaks form, approximately 1-3 minutes. Be careful not to over-mix; consistency should be smooth and not stiff.
- Spread mixture over precooked bread pudding and return to oven to brown, approximately 5-15 minutes, keeping close watch not to over-brown.