Cornbread is a wonderful compliment to soups, chili, barbeque, salad, and even breakfast. This sweet cornbread recipe sets itself apart because of its dense texture and mildly sweet flavor, not to mention it is truly an easy recipe. Add a little butter and you may skip the rest of the meal and only eat the cornbread.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2½ TB baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter or grease 12 inch cast iron skillet (if you don’t have a skillet you can use 2 9 inch round cake pans.)
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together all dry ingredients, including sugar, until well blended.
- Add all wet ingredients and stir until a slightly lumpy batter forms. Pour into pan/pans and spread evenly.
- If using cast iron skillet bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. If using 2 9 inch rounds bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before cutting and serving with your favorite toppings like butter or honey.
What do you like to serve your cornbread with?