It’s nearly fall…which means the harvest is in full swing. Do you have baskets full of fruits and vegetables stacked around your kitchen? We can help you with at least one of your abundances…tomatoes. This oven sun dried tomatoes recipe takes the sun out of sun drying. Which means you don’t have to worry about thunderstorms, bugs, or random neighborhood animals spoiling your drying process.
- 8-15 roma tomatoes (garden fresh are the best)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1-2 TB. sugar
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry tomatoes. Remove stems and slice tomatoes in half, lengthwise. Arrange evenly on line baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with sugar, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. The amount varies upon personal tastes.
- Place garlic and bay leaves around tomatoes on baking sheet.
- Bake for 3-4 hours or until tomatoes are no longer juicy.
- Sun dried tomatoes can be cooled and stored in freezer bags (in the freezer) for 3-4 months. They can also be stored, covered in oil, in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
Pizza, pasta, soups, spreads…what will you use your sun dried tomatoes for?