There are so many ways to prepare carrots. You can use them in soups, stews, desserts, salads, and as a side dish. But have you ever thought about making carrots the main dish? This creamy carrot soup recipe will have you looking at carrots in a whole new way. Serve with a salad and warm fresh bread for the perfect cool spring night. This carrot soup is also a great side dish for Easter dinner.
- 4 cups carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 4 TB. butter
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 3¼ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In medium sized stock pot melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and ginger and cook until tender. Add carrots, potatoes, chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender mix carrot mixture until smooth. (you can do this in a traditional blender in small batches)
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes or until warm. Stirring frequently.
- Top with croutons for an added touch.
Now the only question is who will peel all those carrots?