There are very few things that smell as good as fresh baked bread, straight out of the oven. And the taste of homemade bread really cannot be beat. Have you been looking for a whole wheat bread recipe that is hearty, flavorful, and easy to slice for sandwiches? You don’t need to look any further; just use this easy whole wheat bread recipe. This is the recipe that will have you saying good bye to store-bought bread and hello to homemade goodness.
- 3½ cups of 100% whole wheat flour (I use 1½ cups white wheat and 2 cups red wheat)
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup molasses (or honey)
- ¼ nonfat dried milk
- 1¼- 1½ cups lukewarm water,
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1½ tsp. salt.
- Dissolve the yeast in part of the lukewarm water and set aside.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to your kitchen aid bowl. Then add the yeast mixture.
- Mix with your paddle until a dough starts to form (about 1 minute), then switch to your dough hook and knead for about 6 or so minutes. (sometimes I have to add a little more flour or water depending on the texture it should be soft but not sticky)
- Put dough in a greased bowl, cover, and rise. It will almost double (takes 1-2 hours depending on the temp in your house)
- Take out and form into a bread shaped “log” and place in greased bread pan.
- Cover and let rise until it’s about 1 inch above the top of the bread pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then tent with tin foil and bake another 20 minutes. Take out of the pan and cool on rack.
- You can brush the top with butter while it’s still hot if you want a softer crust.
- Wait until cooled to slice and or store in bag or plastic wrap or foil.
What would you top this delicious bread with?